Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Arriving at Your Own Door (108 Lessons in Mindfulness) by Jon Kabat-Zinn {Book Review}

Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in MindfulnessBook: Arriving at Your Own Door (108 Lessons in Mindfulness)
Author: Jon Kabat-Zinn
Category: Non-fiction, Self-help

A collection of short thoughts from Kabat-Zinn and some quotations that relate to the topic of mindfulness or meditation.

Review: If someone told me that I'd be interested in the topic of "mindfulness" or "meditation" a couple of months ago, I would've said they're nuts. My mind runs a hundred miles a minute and it seriously hurts to try to make it go still. Unless I'm totally exhausted, the brain just won't stop buzzing. But, something happened to me at the end of last year that I can't quite explain. And, that something led me to the concept of finding stillness within me. When I was trying to understand the whole thing better, I came across Kabat-Zinn's work. Since I wasn't quite sure I'd be all for the mindfulness thing, I decided to read whatever was available from my local library. Thankfully, they had this concise version of one of his books. And, I'm glad I read it. I can't wait to read more and to learn more. Of course, my mind still buzzes about - and I still struggle with the stillness. But, I am more aware of this concept, and I know I want to get to know it more and to see how it will work for me.

Studio Notes Rating: 4/5 | { Buy at Amazon } | { Buy at Fishpond }

READ: January 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment